Today’s Vegan Mofo theme is intent to trip me up, since it’s now spring in South Africa and the cold has officially left for now. I’ve taken off all the extra blankets and have started walking with just a t-shirt: all big strides! Knowing that it was going to get like this I planned ahead and made something a week or two ago when it was, in fact, “cold and (threatening to be) rainy”. There’s no chance, unfortunately, of a snow drift outside our door, but I used the ingredients I had on hand (without hitting the shops for extras) and made this simple but filling and yum soup with berry tahini asparagus spears.
The rainy season will come soon enough, since it threatens for a few weeks and then is all sunshine, and then whoosh, the heavens open up for weeks on end and everything just becomes soggy and miserable. With thunder in the distance I whipped together this super easy dish and made sure to use as much of everything I had in the house as possible, and the result was lots of flavour and texture. I love brothy soups but when it comes to actually eating like I mean it and staying full there needs to be some nibbly bits in there, since soup is no longer an excuse to eat bread. :p I am obviously a massive fan of asparagus so I spoiled myself and bought a can (because raw is not yet on the shelves) and fried it up to deliciousness. Seriously, if I could afford it I would have this asparagus side every day, and when the fresh produce hits the shops I am going to be making this in bulk for all my meals. Ingredients (serves 3 – 4):
- 1 large broccoli, chopped finely
- 4 medium plum tomatoes
- 4 radishes
- 2 big handfuls mint
- 2 big handfuls spinach, devined
- 2 TBSP tahini
- 1 can brown lentils (or 1.5 cups cooked)
- 3 tsp ginger powder
- 3 tsp fennel, cumin, nutmeg, coriander
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 2 TBSP nutritional yeast
- 2 TBSP dry parsley
- 5 – 6 cups veggie broth
Fried asparagus spears
- 1 can of asparagus spears
- 2 tsp blackberry jam
- 2 tsp tahini
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Bring all ingredients except spinach and mint to the boil and let it bubble on medium-high for half an hour. Fork the radish to check that it’s soft and then add your greens and let it simmer on low for 5 minutes before serving.
- Mix your jam, lemon juice and tahini (with a splash of water if necessary) in a cup. Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high and fry the spears for a few minutes, then splash over the liquid mixture and paprika and mix to cover.
- Fry it for a few minutes more then serve warm with the soup and crackers or bread.