Crazy mode again! 😀 I was thinking of a super quick way to get some deliciousness in during the afternoons before embarking on the power walks around the neighbourhood a friend and I try and take during the weekdays, and this came up. I’m more often than not out of bananas and there are always apples for Man-thing’s daily fruit rations (since chocolate does not and should not count), so yum! The chilly drink with the warm cake bits… oh yes please!
Now that I think about it though, there’s nothing too absurd about this because it’s essentially a fancy-but-quick version of a thick smoothie. I sometimes add pumpkin, oats or whatever into my smoothies to thicken them up nicely, so you can either munch the cake bits on top before slurping down, or else mush them down into the smoothie and eat/drink it like that.
- 1 medium/large granny smith apple, diced and frozen
- 1 cup lettuce
- 1/2 cup icy water
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cucumber, diced and frozen
- 2 droppers NuNaturals Liquid Stevia Vanilla/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp ginger spice
- 4 TBSP GF oat bran
- 3 TBSP non-dairy milk
- 1 TBSP applesauce or carrot purée
- 1 dropper NuNaturals Liquid Stevia Vanilla/1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp flax powder
- 1 TBSP sweetener of choice
- 1 TBSP raisins
Optional: prune purée or date syrup to drizzle (or chocolate, go wild!)
- Blend your water and lettuce until broken down, then add the cucumber and blend til smooth. Add your apple, 2 tsp vanilla and protein powder and blend until smooth.
- Spray a ramekin and in a large mug mix your wet and dry together. Transfer to ramekin and place mixture on a paper towel in the center of the microwave and blast on max heat for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Slice up the cake and serve atop the smoothie, folding in the raisins
- You can also sub the water for more non-dairy milk and heat up the smoothie in a large mug then if you’re in the southern hemisphere like me!
Oh. my. goodness. Now, I know the ingredient list is simple and easy to assemble but this is really delightful, tasty, and super filling! Those little surprise munches of sultanas make one glee and the steamy, warm cake on top is just glorious as you plunge into the cool smoothie. This right here is my new smoothie go-to. I know in the past I’ve read where people get very annoyed where others post recipes of a piece of toast or whatever and are all “this is TOTALLY like a cinnamon roll!”, so I’m not going to claim to that extent that the taste is apple pie-ish to the point where you can give up on the real deal altogether, but it’s darn close enough for a smoothie :p
I love mixing things – hot and cool, savoury and sweet, crunchy and smooth…so this is one of those where the difference in temperature means you end up experiencing flavours quite differently, all in the same meal.
In other exciting news, one of my foster babies (ok, 5 – 6 month old kitten) has been booked to be adopted on Wednesday! 😀 I am beyond excited and feeling very confident about these people, who took an instant shine to stunning Ajax! I’m trying my best to get everyone adopted ASAP before kitten season hits and we have the waves of abandoned fluffs on our doorstop, so it’s posters galore, begging, and pretty much any trick I can muster. They’re so adorable though that it’s rather perplexing that people aren’t falling over themselves to adopt, especially in this chilly time of year where snuggling with cats is bliss.