Today is a super lazy Monday, which is why I’m reporting in on my super lazy Sunday only now and sharing our lunchtime munchies. I usually avoid sweet potato in favour of its fairer counterpart, the glorious pumpkin, but very little beats beautifully crisp little slices of anything. This dish is pretty simple but makes for a delicious, filling side, or can be doubled to create a centerpiece for a lunch or dinner.
Roasted sweet potatoes (serves 2):
- 1 TBSP applesauce
- 2 TBSP lite soy sauce (tamari if GF – just check!)
- 1 TBSP nut yeast
- 2 TBSP paprika
- 2 TBSP tomato sauce
- 2 TBSP oregano
- 2 medium peeled and sliced sweet potatoes (approx 2.5 cups sliced)
- Preheat the oven to 180C and spray a baking tray.
- Carefully wash, peel and slice your sweet potatoes, then steam them for 2 – 3 minutes in the microwave.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients together in a bowl and toss the sweet potato slices in them. Place on your baking tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes a side until slightly crispy. Cover and set aside.
Basil bean cream:
- 2 cups basil, packed
- 1/3 cup butter beans
- 1 TBSP applesauce
- 1 tsp tahini
- 2 tsp jalapeno tabasco
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- white pepper to taste (lots!)
- 1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Blend the basil until broken down significantly, then add the rest of the ingredients until creamy smooth.
- You’ll still have bits of basil around, but if you’re nitpicky cut those finely by hand beforehand.
Mix your roasted sweet potatoes with the basil bean cream. Serve on the side with some salad or as a filling main dish.
Mmm! The salty-sweetness of the roasted sweet potatoes with the peppery pow of the basil bean cream makes for a delicious, layered combination that works well together. The bean cream could work just as easily on some jam-grilled portabello steak mushrooms or mixed into a pasta dish or lasagna, whilst the roasted sweet potatoes could be layered in a casserole or skewered on a kebab stick with other veggies and slathered in the cream or dipped in more of the tomato-base sauce.
Yesterday was the first time in a long while that Man-thing and I have managed to get out of the house and do something relaxing (in this case watch a movie) without having to stick around the homestead and look after kittens. We still have Buzz left to foster, and he’s rather lonely, so Man-thing sits and reads in his room with him for long stretches of time. ❤
Today, however, should hopefully mark my return to the gym! With reduced kitten numbers I finally have some breathing space and can afford to spend an hour for myself every other day, and I need it now more than ever. I’m not the kind of person that can miss exercise for a long while and not have to whip out the stretchy pants, not to mention I think I’ll feel much improved by just getting my heartbeat up for some other reason that the sight of chocolate or coffee. :p