I still have some precious fresh cherries left, so I decided to spoil myself rotten yesterday afternoon when I got home from work. My papaya isn’t ripe yet and we have a few apples lying around, so the result was this really fresh and filling smoothie that just tasted heavenly.
As you may know, I’m on a smoothie bowl kick lately, which is why I also list options for a smoothie bowl. Even though apples create a lighter smoothie than something with bananas or mango, for example, it can easily get substance with the addition of some key ingredients. I gobbled the smoothie up just as is, because I was desperate for comfort food. Also, it’s delicious.
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 1 granny smith apple
- 1.5 cups crisp lettuce
- 1/2 large cucumber, peeled and sliced roughly
- 1/2 cup cherries
- 3 pitted dates, soaked in boiling water for 15 minutes
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups icy water
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 TBSP cinnamon
- 2 TBSP caramel extract
- Sweetener to taste
- Optional: 1 – 2 TBSP rum
- Optional: 1 TBSP flax powder + 1 TBSP chia seeds
- Optional: granola topping
- Soak your dates for 15 minutes in boiling water, then let cool slightly before blending together with all other ingredients except cherries until smooth, adding more or less water as required.
- If you want layers then pour out half your smoothie into a big glass, then add the cherries and blend until smooth (you may have bits floating around).
- To thicken for a smoothie bowl, replace the cucumber with 3 frozen baby marrows, frozen, then add 1 TBSP flax powder and 1 TBSP chia seeds or oat fiber with less water and topped with some homemade granola.
Yum! I love fresh drinks like this that take no effort at all but come with zing and stuff – just what one needs for a bit of afternoon fuel! I’m off (again) to the vet shortly to get a check-up on the kitten everyone’s interested in, Truffles, just to get an all-clear and go visit our other sick kitten that had to stay over at the vet. Stuff like this smoothie keep me pretty pumped full of energy and help keep me full long enough that I can go do errands like that with my stomach roaring at me and making a scene in public.