Ok, so I hope everyone is willing to forgive me if I take a little breather on Mondays and instead bring to you a top 10 list of awesome vegan dishes that focus on rice!
It shouldn’t be any surprise that I like lists. I’ve even got a bookmark folder called “vegan lists” for all your delicious top picks. It’s one of the reasons I fail hard at pinning – there aren’t any numbers! Hopefully somewhere in this list there’s a dish that’s calling out to you so that you can also join in on MM – even as a vegan!
I read a thread on Reddit’s vegan space a while back where the question was whether Meatless Mondays send out the right idea, or if it’s something vegans should support. Some of the arguments stated that it’s a type of coddling, where you don’t take a strong enough stance on the matter and end up compromising principles by saying one day a week is sufficient. Others are just happy to have small concessions.
As much as I’d love for omnivores everywhere to try a MM and be so blown away that they shed all animal-based products for all eternity, I know that isn’t mighty realistic, and hence I’m happy if there’s even one day a week where plant-based foods are enjoyed. Of course, some say that omnivores then try and “make up” for all the lost meat the next day, but honestly, we live in a global community made of such vastly different people and circumstances that I think it’s silly and even disrespectful to scoff at people who are different to yourself, even though I am amazed that more people don’t find veganism to be natural! A lot of omnivores tend to argue that veganism is unnatural or that it disrupts some sacred tradition, so there’s no pleasing either side.
Again, if we can start with just one day of compromise and peace and make MM dishes as amazing and tasty as possible, we can at least try our best to ensure that it is not a day of suffering for anyone but rather a fun and exciting adventure that everyone, vegan, omni or otherwise, get to share.
Top 10 Meatless Monday picks
All photos used with permission by their creators
1. Mediterranean Rice Salad – Savvy Vegetarian – this looks so tasty I can barely contain myself!
2. Brown Rice Salad – Holy Cow! Simple but effective! I love rice salads packed with greens.
3. Mango & Avocado Black Rice Salad w/Cilantro-Lime Vinagrette – Ambitious Kitchen – I’m not usually a fan of salad sauces and what not but this post has me convinced of its yumminess – what’s better than the tang of cilantro-lime with the sweetness of mango? Yum!
4. Christmas Rice – Canned Time : How beautiful is this? I love the splashes of colour and its use of some of my favourite ingredients in such a fresh way!Mains
5. Caribbean Vegetable Stew w/Rice & Peas – My Inspiration : I always love this site for its hearty, healthy, and gorgeously photographed feasts. This recipe is no exception!6. Brown Rice Spring Rolls – Sweet Potato Soul : Alas I’ve never seen tempeh I could afford, but this looks delicious and easily adaptable – perhaps tofu? Yum and yum!
7. Black Bean and Rice Enchiladas – Vegan Heartland : Seriously? So much tasty going on – how could anyone say no to enchiladas? Not me!
8. Meghli Lebanese Rice Pudding Recipe – The Vintage Mixer : Swoon much? I could eat all those little pots of glorious rice pudding in one sitting.
9. Hazelnut Cappucino Rice Pudding – Crunch & Chew : Technically this is breakfast, but I’d eat it for dessert too. Coffee is always a winning ingredient! 😀
10. Green Tea Chocolate Chip Cookies – Healthy Nibbles & Bits : Admittedly this uses rice flour, but that totally counts! Also, sometimes one just wants a delicious cookie as dessert any time of the day (post…breakfast dessert, post-second breakfast…)
What have you eaten to celebrate Meatless Monday?
Do you know any non-veggies who participate in Meatless Monday? What do they have to say about their experiences?