Due to a few innocent days of gallivanting and freedom earlier the year I’m now stuck working full days on Mondays as a way of working in hours. Since I try not to moan about being employed, I try instead to perk myself up by preparing some tasty lunch-time treats to take with to work tomorrow, since I find such things make everything more bearable. Surely food as an emotional crutch can be forgiven if one works in a library surrounded by people when you’re actually a fierce introvert who loves personal space?
Ingredients (makes 8 mini loaves):
- 1 cup pre-cooked brown rice
- 1 cup pre-cooked brown lentils
- 1/2 cup thickly grated carrot
- 1 cup thickly grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup prepared artichokes, chopped finely
- 1 heaped tsp onion powder
- 2 TBSP tomato paste
- Paprika, oregano, pepper
- Tomato and ginger relish/tomato-based topping of choice
- Preheat to 180C and spray a muffin pan or mini loaf tray.
- In your food processor, blend together your ingredients except the relish until broken down and so that it’s possible to “pinch” the mixture somewhat.
- Spoon into a sprayed muffin pan or loaf tray. Top with 1 TBSP of the tomato relish and then bake for 35 – 45 minutes or so. Bake longer for ultimate crisp.
- Let the loaves cool, then store in an air-tight tupperware in the fridge.
These not only make awesome work snacks but work just dandy for sides to soup or salad…pretty much anything. You can always top them with a mixture of mustard and tomato paste, or whatever suits your fancy, but apparently too much tomato paste isn’t so great for sensitive guts, so I’m trying out less reactive alternatives, and this is just as effective and tasty 🙂
The best part is that they are super quick to assemble and make during a busy weekday or what not, or a day like today! Packing, unpacking, packing, unpacking… Anyway, there are some days where you want to feel you are dining like royalty, but on a monetary and time budget!
We’re moving this upcoming Saturday and it is just CHAOS here by us – boxes everywhere, constant trips to the new house, getting quotes for all sorts of security things and painters…gahhhhh! Someone in our house, however, enjoys the boxes to play in and all the randomly stacked furniture. For instance, our wire rack was out last night and naturally his Meowship was all over it, so we put a squishy blanket and pillow there for him to sleep on. Suckers!
In the new place I’m going to make sure we make lots of cat perches everywhere, and I’m going to buy another one or two of these to place in random spots in the house, line the drawers with soft pillows and let Gatsby and the foster kittens delight themselves in it 😀
What are some moving tips/life hacks you care to share?