Yesterday was my sister in law’s wedding and it was AWESOME! Chilled,groovy, pretty awesome couple, friends and family…and, best of all, the most AMAZING vegan dishes! My little sister was so jealous, asking why I got “room service” while everyone else had to go to the buffet, but wow! A stunning butternut soup, followed by a delicious stir fry with cashews, potato puffs, on a nutty base of some sort with a pesto-type smear and paper-thin pumpkin crisps (seriously), AND the most sugary but delightful malva pudding. Yes. ALL MINE! Except I shared, because I had to let everyone taste the delight that had been prepared for me. I know food shouldn’t be a highlight but it really makes my heart super fuzzy when people make such an effort to accommodate me so stylishly!
For today’s dish it’s something simple to counter the decadence of last night…though that’s not to say this is something to sniff at. Hearty, warm, flavourful and rewarding – even Man-thing was preening!
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 1 cup cooked brown + wild rice
- 1/2 cup artichokes, prepared/cooked
- 5-6 peppadews, chopped finely
- 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 3 radishes, diced finely
- 1.5 cups thickly grated zucchini
- 1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
- handful of basil, chopped finely
- 2 TBSP hummus
- Paprika, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, saffron (if you have some!), tumeric + oregano
- spinach to serve
- Optional: tomato paste, mustard, etc
- In a pan, fry your vegetables, spices, basil and artichokes for approximately 8 – 10 minutes on medium heat until cooked, then add your peppadews, rice and hummus, stirring.
- If you want to add some peas or other optional ingredients do so now!
- Let the mixture cook for another 3 – 4 minutes. Add some apple cider vinegar if you like.
- Steam your spinach and serve with the paella on top OR if you suck less than I do wriggle out a few lettuce leaves and serve the paella in that! (I ripped my lettuce head to shreds by accident in my haste, whoops!)
Easy peasy! This is creamy, thanks to the hummus, but spicy and oh so delicious. The artichokes seal the deal, as do the peppadews. Quick fuel for packing, which is what the next week is all about until D-Day: Saturday 11! Gahhh so much to do, but with this sort of food lying around I’m sure we’ll survived, even if my rushed photography makes me somewhat seasick :p
Anyway, I hope that somewhere someone’s got their feet up and are totally relaxed and soaking up the Saturday vibes. I’m off the cat shelter to revel in their cuteness and clean litter boxes – my version of a mini-vacation I guess :p
What are your favourite on-the-go lunches?