Today is Rikke and Foxtrot’s wedding day! 😀 😀 So, we’re only three days into this days of rice business and I’m already being uber casual about it with this simple but effective creamy breakfast bowl. Sometimes you just want something that gets the job done, but in a delicious way. This is that, and so much more! If I wasn’t as restrictive of fruit I would let rip and cover the entire bowl with a medley of fun, festive fruits, but even this simple dish really hits the spots and the sweet notes.
I’ve contemplated some weird but yummy breakfast treats of late (baked potato with almond butter and homemade jam? yeesh, so much yum), so it makes sense to use some leftover rice for a porridge. It’s admittedly not much different than rice pudding on many levels, but that’s too bad – it’s for the a.m. munchies, which are my most monstrous, and I figure a bowl of rice can surely not let me down in terms of fuel and fullness. Also, it’s an excellent excuse to splash fruit and nuts everywhere!
So, smoothie bowl but not! What’s there not to like? 😀
- 1/2 cup cooked brown + wild rice
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp spirulina
- 1 TBSP flax powder (OR 1 TBSP chia seeds)
- 1 tsp maca
- 1 ripe banana, half mashed and half sliced
- 1 TBSP almond nibs + goji berries
- 1/2 cup thinly grated zucchini
- Cinnamon + ginger spice galore
- 1 packet Stevia or 1 TBSP sugar
- Bring the mixture (minus the sliced half of your bananas and almonds) to a boil in a medium pot, then let simmer for 10 minutes. Add sweetener to taste.
- Serve with the sliced bananas and almond nibs. You can also add some berry jam if you like!
- If you’d like a creamier, less porridge-like mixture add an extra 1/4 – 1/3 cup non-dairy milk.
I suspect today’s going to be pretty hectic, which is why I kept this low-key. I’m also having something of a fashion crisis for tonight since I have *three* potential outfits…and might just end up wearing one of my old dresses anyway. I’ve found that clothes can either put you in a foul or great mood – if they’re not right then you spend the whole evening fidgeting and being cross at yourself, and if it’s great then you feel like a glamour puss and end up being much more sociable – hopefully I’m not alone in this!
Anyway, apparently there’s a special vegan meal made out for me and one of my in-laws’ colleagues for tonight’s wedding feast, so we’ll see what comes out of that! I always keep spare food lying around anyway out of habit, but as long as there are veggies I’m happy 🙂 Hip hip hurrah!