Wah! It’s Man-thing’s birthday today – all of 30 years! He’s just 30 years away from being able to score on senior citizen discounts, but in the meanwhile I figured he should be spoiled a little bit. For his present I got a cat mug stuffed with his favourite chocolate and chips, as well as the infamous waffle-snackwich maker/griller. He wasn’t too sure about how to react to the present, but I told him he should consider it inspiration to use our ice-cream maker so that we can have waffles galore. Since we’re going out for a big lunch with my family to also celebrate my grandmother’s birthday, I figured there’d be enough sweet stuff later on, and therefore tested out the waffle maker while he napped a bit more.
Savoury waffles? Oh yeah!
Ingredients: (serves 2 normal people OR 1 hungry man-thing)
- 1 batch carrot cake waffles (direct from Chocolate Covered Katie – quick and delicious recipe!)
- 1 tub 12oz Nature’s Choice tofu, cubed (drained of water)
- 1/2 green pepper, diced roughly
- 1 TBSP mustard
- 2 TBSP hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 TBSP hummus
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 1/8 cup non-dairy milk
- smoked paprika, white pepper, LOTS of spiciness
- Prepare your waffles according to the instructions and cover with a lid once done to retain heat (it was my first time making waffles so I wasn’t comfortable enough to multitask, but if you’re a pro you can do all this stuff simultaneously)
- I always prepare my tofu at least 1/2 an hour beforehand – cover your drained tofu in paper towels, wrap in a dish cloth and stick under some books until all the water has been squished out.
- Using a non-stick pan turn up the heat to medium-high and fry your cubes of tofu for 4 minutes on one side until slightly browned.
- Stir your tofu a bit, then add in your mustard, 1 TBSP hoisin sauce, 1 TBSP lemon juice, spices, and green pepper. Stir to coat.
- Let your tofu fry for another 4 minutes or so, stirring once or twice. Add a bit more lemon juice if it starts sticking too much. I like my tofu crispy burnt, so I let it cook until a type of crust forms.
- Break your tofu into smaller bits with your plastic spatula so that it resembles scrambled eggs and fry for another few minutes.
- Meanwhile, blend/process your pumpkin, hummus, 1 TBSP lemon juice, 1 TBSP hoisin sauce, non-dairy milk and spices until smooth.
- Set out your waffles on a plate and spoon your pumpkin mixture on top of each waffle. Add your tofu mix on top and dig in!
Seriously? Yum yum! I’m trying to fatten Man-thing up a bit, so he’s getting extra doses of protein and good carbs (waffles are 100% good carbs!). He was very happy with his breakfast and the waffles turned out stunning, so I foresee a lot more of these adventures in the near future. He’s already trying to negotiate for cheese for the snackwich maker so I’ll make some vegan delicious cheese later today, because it tastes just like cheddar AND it melts and is awesome beyond reason. 😀
May I spam you now with early morning cat? He was helping open presents 😀
The vet grabbed his stomach the other day and wiggled it about, saying he was a bit squishy but not in a bad way. He apparently likes a bit of squish on his animals, so we’re not so concerned about housing an obese cat (because wow, some of the cats in our complex are HUGE!). Always good to know that we’re not doing anything wrong!